Friday, September 12, 2008

Iowa/I-State Friday

The last day of school before the game is always interesting. It is really fun to see all the students decked out in cardinal and gold and old gold and black. It really is fun, but sometimes it is hard to keep the focus on learning. For me, one of the highlights is playing each school song at the pep assembly in the afternoon. This year, for my first time at CM, I had students come down and play with me! It was great that even though the Cyclones had considerably fewer representatives in the students body, there were several who wanted to play the fight song with me. I commend them on their effort and enthusiasm! It takes courage to come in front of your peers and perform a song that you haven't spent much time practicing. The same goes for the 3 that came down to join me for the Hawkeye song. That song is much more difficult, especially since in is written in 6/8 time--something we don't talk a whole lot about at the middle school level.

On a side note, it was great to have Ms. Lau, a former Cyclone Marching Band member, join us for their song. Music really can follow you through your life. This brings me to an interesting point which I will write more about in the next couple of days. I am glad we have reached the weekend, and GO HAWKS!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Good job at the assembly today Wipp (as always)! You were such a sport to play the ISU fight song, thanks.