Friday, January 15, 2010

A new semester

With the "extra" break we had at the end of last week, along with the start of a new semester and new music, I haven't had much time to write. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it more regularly now.

The new year always brings a flurry of activity in the music dept. As I mentioned, we have new music for all the groups. It is always really exciting to start fresh after working on music for so long. Something new is always welcome. On the other hand, it can be very frustrating. The other music was at a level where we knew it well enough that we could play large parts without a problem. Exploring the new music really makes students (and the director) think and work. As a result we have to do little bits and pieces at a time--something that can be frustrating for everyone involved! The key is patience!

A couple of side notes:

7-8 band students have solo/ensemble festival at PCM on February 11th. Most have had a piece they have been working on for a while. Remind them to practice! In the next 2 weeks or so, I should have a schedule of performance times for the 11th. All will be scheduled between 4 and 8 PM. and are at 5 minute intervals. Not a huge time commitment, but some great feedback.

I am gone for various things several times in the month. I had a Technology in the Iowa Core Curriculum for Learning on Monday. Next Thursday I'll be taking 3 students to the Simpson College honor band. On the 26th, I'll be at the iSpin meeting in West Des Moines. It is frustrating for me to be gone because I hate missing rehearsals. It is hard to get stuff accomplished when there is no sub or not a musically aware sub. I try to have the things that we do during that time be productive and thoughtful. For example, on Monday 7-8 band students wrote 2 paragraphs on whether it was important to have music education in schools. Some good thoughts from the students on both sides. That being said, when I miss a day, that is a day of prep that we lose for the concert, and that is always a challenge.

I think that is probably enough for now. I hope everyone has a great and restful weekend!

No comments: