Saturday, August 22, 2009

Lessons and Practicing

So, I didn't get around to getting the pictures up and I left the camera at school, so that will have to wait until next week.

Lessons will start on Monday and each student should have a lesson schedule! I'll try to get that up on the website soon. I still don't have network access on the machine it is on at school, so I'll try to get it out there some other way! It is really important that students practice each week for at least 45 minutes. In the September edition of the Des Moines Register's Moms Like Me section, there was a great list of "tips to motivate your young musician." I list them here because I think there are some great ideas!

  • Ask to hear old favorites as well as new, challenging songs.
  • Have your child perform a few tunes at a "concert" for the family.
  • Have your child practice with someone else.
  • ask your child's band teacher for suggestions for alternate, fun sheet music to play for a change of pace.
  • Go to concerts, buy music CDs or listen to the radio. Ask your child to pick out his instrument sound from the group you are listening to.
  • Attend your child's performances.

No comments: