Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Karl Killinger

I was going to post something else this evening, but as I was reading the Des Moines Register today, I noticed the passing of an important individual.

Karl Killinger was a band director in the central part of the state for many, many years. He grew up being around one of the most famous Iowa composers--Karl King. He was quite a musician in his own right, winning competitions on several different instruments.

As I was reading his obituary in the Register, I noticed something particularly interesting--Mr. Killinger was a one-time band director at Mingo High School! While I never met Mr. Killinger, he was well known in his profession and good at what he did. It is a loss for the music education community, as well as for Mingo, Iowa.

No comments: